Appalachian Voices promotes diverse local economies and thriving communities and defends the land, air and water of our region from the worst environmental threats. We work at the nexus of the ongoing shift from fossil fuels to clean, 21st-century energy sources — we fight mountaintop removal coal mining, fracked-gas pipelines and other threats to the people and places of Appalachia, and we advance energy efficiency, clean energy, and other economic solutions that create community wealth and sustain Appalachia’s mountains, forests and waters.
Commitment to equity
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We are currently hiring for the following position(s):
Membership and Development Associate
Appalachian Voices has an opening for a Membership and Development Associate. We are a nonprofit advocacy organization that brings people together and provides them with tools for successful grassroots campaigns that protect the land, air, and water of Central and Southern Appalachia. We currently have 28 staff members located in offices in Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Boone, N.C., and Knoxville, Tenn., and a membership base of roughly 1,200 people nationwide. Reporting to the Development Coordinator, the Membership and Development Associate will lead and be responsible for the success of Appalachian Voices’ membership program and serve as an integral partner in meeting the overall goals of the development program. This position is based in our Charlottesville, Va., office.
The Membership and Development Associate position is highly collaborative. Successful candidates will have excellent interpersonal communication skills, the desire to engage with and recruit members of diverse backgrounds, the ability to effectively participate in projects across teams in various geographic locations, and a hard-working, creative approach to achieving departmental and organizational goals.
Primary Roles and ResponsibilitiesS
- Develop timely and engaging electronic fundraising appeals throughout the year
- Assist in the creation of major donor communications and other fundraising and outreach materials, ensuring consistency across platforms including electronic and print
- Create, organize and conduct annual membership drives
- Plan and attend tabling events and annual membership meetings
- Maintain membership renewal program and donor acknowledgment program
- Identify stewardship opportunities for members, including volunteer engagement with the organization
- Assist with and attend board meetings, site visits, and other fundraising events
- Serve as the first point of contact for the Charlottesville, Va., office and maintain office operations
Minimum Qualifications and Desired Skills
- Creativity, disciplined approach to work, drive for professional and personal success
- Strong communication skills and demonstrable reading comprehension, writing, editing, proofreading, and research competencies
- Ability to message complex issues creatively and clearly through a variety of formats
- Computer literacy skills including Microsoft Office programs and G Suite applications
- Ability to use emotional intelligence and cultural competency to form positive relationships with diverse groups of people in remote locations
- Desire to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
- Enthusiastic professional references from previous employers or teachers/professors
Benefits and Compensation
Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
This is an entry-level position with a full-time 40-hour workweek. Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. Interviews may start in early December and the anticipated employment date is mid-January 2019.
Please send your resume and a cover letter (no longer than one page) that highlights your skills and experience transferable to this position to email@example.com with “Membership and Development Associate” in the subject line. Recommendation letters will also be gladly accepted. Questions about the position and the membership program are welcomed via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TN Community Outreach Associate-Stewards VISTA
Appalachian Voices Energy Savings for Appalachia team is hiring a Stewards VISTA AmeriCorps member to work on their campaign to empower rural, low-income mining-impacted communities in East Tennessee by building capacity to engage in the decision making processes of their rural electric cooperatives, leading to local investments in energy efficiency, high-speed internet, and other beneficial programs.
The Stewards VISTA will conduct outreach in areas with legacy mining in Cumberland, Fentress, Claiborne, Hancock, Hawkins, and adjacent counties to help community members: 1) understand their rights and responsibilities as members of rural electric cooperatives; 2) learn about programs available to their cooperatives that would benefit local economies and community development; 3) generate member engagement in the decision making processes of their co-ops; and, 4) advance implementation and enrollment in inclusive energy efficiency and other programs.
The Stewards VISTA member will help build capacity in rural areas by providing co-op members with trainings on meeting facilitation, digital tools, community organizing, and other skill sets or knowledge necessary for members to engage and organize a broader base of co-op membership.
The VISTA will organize and facilitate educational workshops throughout cooperative service area(s) that cover a range of topics, including cooperative bylaws, structure and decision making, the seven cooperative principles, electric co-op best practice, special programs for members, etc.
The Stewards VISTA member will assist current organizing efforts of co-op members in East Tennessee by providing these groups with research assistance, connections to electric co-op leadership, connections to other community groups and nonprofits, etc. The VISTA will act as a liaison between East Tennessee electric co-op members and Appalachian Voices’ Communications Team to support the members’ media and outreach needs.
The VISTA will advance newly implemented co-op programs that offer energy efficiency, broadband internet, herbicide spraying opt-out, etc by providing members with education and helping those who want to enroll.
The Stewards VISTA will also keep co-op members up to date on Tennessee Valley Authority policy and proposals, and support members that want their utility to influence TVA towards more equitable and environmentally conscious policy.
Preferred candidates have:
- Passion for building a better future with rural communities
- Good critical thinking skills and adaptability
- Great jokes
- Excellent communication skills (especially listening)
- Basic computer literacy (fancy stuff is a plus)
- An aptitude for team work and relationship building
- Ability to teach and speak publicly
- Good work ethic and dependability
- Experience with rural community organizing
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about electric cooperative best practice
- Background living or working in the Appalachian region
- Bachelor’s degree a plus but not required
Term Details and Benefits
The TN Community Outreach Associate- Stewards VISTA is a 12-month service term that runs from August 27, 2018 to August 26, 2019. The position will be based in our Knoxville, Tenn. office. The service member will receive a living stipend commensurate with the location of service, and is eligible for all benefits under the auspices of the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
Vista Compensation Summary | Additional benefits details
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until filled. To apply, please fill out the AmeriCorps VISTA official application. Questions? Contact Brianna Knisley at email@example.com
Appalachian Voices is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Successful candidates will be committed to the mission of Appalachian Voices and motivated to join a team of hard-working, fun-loving, caring, smart and creative colleagues. We provide competitive non-profit salaries commensurate with experience and skills.
Are you a student or recent graduate? Check out our list of internships!