We are currently hiring for the following position(s):
TN Community Outreach Associate-Stewards VISTA
Appalachian Voices Energy Savings for Appalachia team is hiring a Stewards VISTA AmeriCorps member to work on their campaign to empower rural, low-income mining-impacted communities in East Tennessee by building capacity to engage in the decision making processes of their rural electric cooperatives, leading to local investments in energy efficiency, high-speed internet, and other beneficial programs.
The Stewards VISTA will conduct outreach in areas with legacy mining in Cumberland, Fentress, Claiborne, Hancock, Hawkins, and adjacent counties to help community members: 1) understand their rights and responsibilities as members of rural electric cooperatives; 2) learn about programs available to their cooperatives that would benefit local economies and community development; 3) generate member engagement in the decision making processes of their co-ops; and, 4) advance implementation and enrollment in inclusive energy efficiency and other programs.
The Stewards VISTA member will help build capacity in rural areas by providing co-op members with trainings on meeting facilitation, digital tools, community organizing, and other skill sets or knowledge necessary for members to engage and organize a broader base of co-op membership.
The VISTA will organize and facilitate educational workshops throughout cooperative service area(s) that cover a range of topics, including cooperative bylaws, structure and decision making, the seven cooperative principles, electric co-op best practice, special programs for members, etc.
The Stewards VISTA member will assist current organizing efforts of co-op members in East Tennessee by providing these groups with research assistance, connections to electric co-op leadership, connections to other community groups and nonprofits, etc. The VISTA will act as a liaison between East Tennessee electric co-op members and Appalachian Voices’ Communications Team to support the members’ media and outreach needs.
The VISTA will advance newly implemented co-op programs that offer energy efficiency, broadband internet, herbicide spraying opt-out, etc by providing members with education and helping those who want to enroll.
The Stewards VISTA will also keep co-op members up to date on Tennessee Valley Authority policy and proposals, and support members that want their utility to influence TVA towards more equitable and environmentally conscious policy.
Preferred candidates have:
- Passion for building a better future with rural communities
- Good critical thinking skills and adaptability
- Great jokes
- Excellent communication skills (especially listening)
- Basic computer literacy (fancy stuff is a plus)
- An aptitude for team work and relationship building
- Ability to teach and speak publicly
- Good work ethic and dependability
- Experience with rural community organizing
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about electric cooperative best practice
- Background living or working in the Appalachian region
- Bachelor’s degree a plus but not required
Term Details and Benefits
The TN Community Outreach Associate- Stewards VISTA is a 12-month service term that runs from August 27, 2018 to August 26, 2019. The position will be based in our Knoxville, Tenn. office. The service member will receive a living stipend commensurate with the location of service, and is eligible for all benefits under the auspices of the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
Vista Compensation Summary | Additional benefits details
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis June 4 through July 30, 2018. To apply, please fill out the AmeriCorps VISTA official application. Questions? Contact Brianna Knisley at firstname.lastname@example.org
AmeriCorps Project Conserve — Energy Savings Outreach Associate (2 positions)
The primary responsibility of the Energy Savings Outreach Associate will be to plan, organize, manage and conduct community education and outreach activities in rural Appalachian communities in western North Carolina—communities served by rural electric cooperatives. Such activities will include and/or require: group and individual education and outreach (including providing presentations and workshops); planning and managing outreach activities in our respective target communities; volunteer outreach and management; development and distribution of print and digital materials; publishing relevant blogs and 2 newsletters; and managing other social media activities that support and promote the initiative. The overall purpose of such activities will be to expand awareness and understanding of the need for and benefits of residential energy efficiency improvements and to generate awareness of and demand for “on-bill” energy efficiency finance programs to be developed by rural electric cooperatives in western North Carolina.
Application deadline has been extended to June 25.
- Applicants must have completed a 4 year accredited college program;
- A Bachelor’s degree (Environmental Studies, Appropriate technology/renewable energy, or environmentally focused communications degrees preferable);
- Excellent writing and research skills and an affinity for written communication (essential skill);
- Excellent verbal communications skills and a friendly, outgoing personality conducive to talking with people of all backgrounds and differing opinions (essential skill);
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about energy and environmental issues impacting Appalachia and the western North Carolina region;
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about energy efficiency and conservation;
- A strong work ethic and good time management and organization skills (essential);
- An ability to problem-solve and work well in a fast-paced setting (essential skill);
- Video editing and video creation a plus (marginal skill);
- A desire to work in the non-profit sector;
- A well-developed sense of humor.
- Eligible applicants must be at least 18 years of age, be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States, and consent to a criminal history check.
All applicants must apply through the AmeriCorps Project Conserve online application program. For details on eligibility, compensation and term, visit the main Project Conserve page. For complete details about the Appalachian Voices position, and to apply, visit this page
Appalachian Voices is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Successful candidates will be committed to the mission of Appalachian Voices and motivated to join a team of hard-working, fun-loving, caring, smart and creative colleagues. We provide competitive non-profit salaries commensurate with experience and skills.
Are you a student or recent graduate? Check out our list of internships!