December 8, 2023
Trey Pollard – email@example.com – 202-904-9187
COAL COUNTRY — PLEASE NOTE: This is the RESCHEDULED timing for an event that had previously been postponed. Next week, lawmakers and advocates for miners with black lung will discuss major new legislation during a virtual press conference. Leaders from the National Black Lung Association, Appalachian Citizens’ Law Center and Appalachian Voices will be joined by U.S. Rep. Morgan McGarvey (D-Ky.) — who will soon introduce the Relief for Survivors of Miners Act of 2023 — and U.S. Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.), a lead sponsor for the Black Lung Benefits Improvement Act which would ease the process for families of deceased miners to apply for black lung benefits.
At the same time, House Republicans recently approved by voice vote an amendment to appropriations legislation for the Department of Labor that would effectively prohibit the implementation of the new silica dust standard — a crucial safeguard that would curb the amount of deadly silica dust miners can be exposed to. While that safeguard is still in draft form with the Mine Safety and Health Administration, House Republicans tacked on a dangerous amendment authored by Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.) that would strip funding from any effort to implement or enforce the final rule. Rep. Perry has faced significant pushback on this move from miners and allies in recent weeks.
NOTE NEW TIME: Wednesday, December 13, 2:30 pm ET
- Sen. Bob Casey — Pennsylvania — Sponsor of Black Lung Benefits Improvement Act
- Rep. Morgan McGarvey — Kentucky — House sponsor of the Relief for Survivors of Miners Act 2023
- Courtney Rhoades — Black Lung Organizer — Appalachian Citizens’ Law Center
- Quenton King — Federal Legislative Specialist — Appalachian Voices
- Gary Hairston – President – National Black Lung Association
- Vonda Robinson — Vice President — National Black Lung Association
# # #