Filled for Summer 2018
The Virginia Grassroots Organizing Assistant will work on our fracked gas pipeline resistance campaign which is a key piece of our Virginia work, having serious potential impacts to Central Appalachia. The pipeline campaign’s objective is to build a powerful and diverse base of citizens along the proposed pipeline corridor, regionally, and nationally. The campaign also aims to unite business leaders and public officials in opposition to investments in new fossil fuel infrastructure and to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency as the best alternatives.
The supervisors for this position are the Virginia Program Manager and the Virginia Field Organizer, who are located in our Charlottesville, VA, office. However, the intern is not expected to work in our Charlottesville office and can work remotely and report back to the supervisor, if needed.
Anyone can apply, but Environmental Sciences, Public Policy, Communications and English undergraduate or graduate students are strongly encouraged.
Intern activities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the planning of events, rallies, and presentations across the state on pipelines and clean energy
- Assist with public communication and education on our issues, including media outreach, online and social media tools, and tabling
- Produce blogs and other online communications tools to mobilize our membership
- Research and contact community organizations to engage in our campaigns
- Coordinating volunteers for in and out-of-office activities
- Assist in development of grassroots activists around the state through online and offline actions
- Keep database of state-wide media on pipelines and clean energy, including earned media
- Committed to environmental justice issues in Appalachian Region
- Grassroots organizing skills preferred, but not necessary
- Good communication skills, ability to make cold calls
- Ability to work and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Sense of humor
- Excitement to learn about the inner workings of non-profits