The Outreach Assistant will work with the Operations and Outreach Coordinator in our Boone, N.C., office to develop and grow relationships with individuals, businesses and organizations.
The assistant will help facilitate distribution of The Appalachian Voice publication, which has a circulation of 90,000, by arranging for businesses, colleges or other organizations to receive regular shipments of the paper and become a distribution points. This position will also work help to maintain relationships with distribution volunteers.
This position will require substantial phone-based outreach and strong verbal communications skills. We are seeking an outgoing, motivated self-starter who is comfortable speaking on the phone. Applicant should also be eager to learn about Appalachian Voices and represent the organization to the public and potential partners.
The intern may assist with communications outlets, as determined by the intern’s interest and the organization’s needs. Depending on the intern’s interest and availability, he or she might also develop graphics and text for the organization’s website, e-newsletter, email and social media channels, or write short news bulletins or other content for The Appalachian Voice or Front Porch Blog.
- Experience with nonprofit marketing and communications or willingness to learn
- Professional, confident attitude conducive to speaking with business owners and others about Appalachian Voices’ work
- Interest in developing new relationships with individuals and organizations
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about environmental issues in Appalachia
- Excellent research, writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Proficiency in graphic design a plus
- Familiarity with HTML a plus
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well in a fast-paced office
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision
- A well-developed sense of humor