Appalachian Voices is seeking an energetic, creative person with previous media and communications experience, ideally with an advocacy-oriented mission, to intern with our communications team.
The internship will be tailored as much as possible to the person’s interests and skill set. The person will work closely with our Senior Communications and Public Engagement Strategist. Start and end dates for the internship are negotiable. Hours will average 10-15 a week and can be flexible, although a fairly consistent schedule is optimal. The intern may do some of the work remotely, but should plan to work in our office at least some of the time to better understand our work and to gain more in-office experience. The internship is unpaid, however the intern will be reimbursed for potential travel and events for specific assignments.
Intern activities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing and editing press outreach materials including press releases, letters-to-the-editor, and op-eds;
- Tracking press coverage of our issues and other press research, maintaining our press contact database;
- Making pitch calls to reporters and editors;
- Writing content for our website, Front Porch blog, bi-monthly publication (The Appalachian Voice), and social media;
- Attending Appalachian Voices-sponsored, or other events, capturing content on camera or video, posting on social media and otherwise assisting program staff at the event.
- Must possess solid writing and verbal communications skills
- Graphic skills, including photography and video, are a plus.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well in a fast-paced environment
- Perform duties with minimal supervision
- Commitment to environmental and energy issues affecting the Appalachian region