The economic fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic is hitting lower-income families especially hard, and has brought into stark focus the plight of thousands of American families who pay a disproportionally high percentage of their household income on energy bills. Appalachian Voices and our partners across the South and at the national level are calling for immediate and comprehensive bans on utility shutoffs during the crisis.
Here we share the stories of two of those families.
- May 19 press release: Groups call on Gov. Cooper to expand utility shutoff moratorium
- Energy Justice for NC utility tracker
- Follow EJNC on Facebook.
- Tennessee Valley Energy Democracy Movement utility tracker
- Follow the TVEDM on Facebook.
- Tell Governor Bill Lee to stop utility shutoffs!
- We’re calling for a federal program to pay off utilities’ bill debts for their customers and help utilities recoup lost revenue. Read more here.
- Huffington Post coverage in North Carolina and in Tennessee.
- A March 30 blog about energy burden and the Covid crisis.
- Our press releases on the topic.