Posted on August 2, 2022
Appalachian Voices has a storied 25-year history, and is experiencing an exciting time of growth. The Senior Accountant position is a critical component of the Finance & Operations team, executing all aspects of the accounting operations, in support of the program, development and executive functions. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate to help elevate the accounting infrastructure of a dynamic and rapidly-growing nonprofit as it continues to grow its positive impact on the economy and ecology of the Appalachian region.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
The Senior Accountant will report to the Director of Finance and Operations, and work closely with team members at all levels of the organization. This position can be based from any of our five office locations, and a hybrid remote/office schedule may be considered.
Primary job responsibilities include the following:
- Accounting operations: Serve as lead on all aspects of accounting operations including accounts receivable/payable, payroll, retirement plan, bank accounts/reconciliations, and the management of financial controls in accordance with GAAP.
- Policy and procedures: Help the team develop and maintain efficient and effective accounting and financial management infrastructure including policies, processes, procedures and internal controls.
- Budgeting: Work with the team to develop organizational, program and grant budgets.
- Compliance and audit: Ensure timely and unqualified annual audit and 990 reports by adhering to organizational accounting policies and procedures throughout the year and by providing the CPA firm with the required reports and backup.
- Operations support: Assist internal teams to manage various requirements such as charitable solicitation license renewals, lobbying expense reporting, sales tax refund claims and business insurance issues.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and at least five years of accounting experience required.
- CPA license preferred.
- Preference for candidates with nonprofit accounting experience, appropriate knowledge of tax laws and related issues and regulations for 501(c)(3) organizations, including federal and state filings and sound internal controls.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proficiency in Excel, Google Suite, QuickBooks. Preference for candidates with experience with constituent relationship management software and time-tracking and expense software.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion.
- Ability to produce high quality work and exercise good judgment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and in teams.
This is a full-time position and is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Salary commensurate with experience, however the expected salary range is $65,000 – 80,000. We are open to feedback from the market and would welcome the opportunity to connect with potential candidates who may be outside of the compensation band. Appalachian Voices is committed to equity in pay practices.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, however for best consideration please apply by August 22, 2022. Please send your resume and a cover letter that addresses the questions below to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for Senior Accountant”. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
- What interests you most in working with Appalachian Voices?
- What are the key qualities that make you a strong candidate for this position?