Human Resources Generalist
Posted on August 2, 2022
Appalachian Voices seeks a passionate individual to build upon our human resources practices and support the development of a dedicated program that fosters a vibrant, inclusive employee experience. Building on the organization’s 25-year history, Appalachian Voices is experiencing an exciting time of growth. The Human Resources Generalist will work with the Operations team to ensure our internal policies and procedures cultivate a healthy, thriving organizational culture. We seek individuals motivated to champion the needs of our team members as they continue growing our positive impact on the economy and ecology of the Appalachian region.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
We are seeking a Human Resources Generalist to lead and improve HR functions and strategies related to recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits administration, policies and procedures, retention, performance evaluation, and separation processes. The HR Generalist will also be responsible for supporting the overall employee experience and encouraging the team’s feedback while striving to maintain a healthy culture and supportive work environment considering both staff and organizational needs.
The new hire will report to the Director of Finance and Operations, and work closely with team members at all levels of the organization. A hybrid remote/office schedule may be considered, but the position is full-time and should be based on a choice of one of our five office locations.
Primary job responsibilities include the following:
- Policy & compliance: Develop and maintain the company’s HR policies and procedures, based on alignment with the company’s strategic plan, industry best practices, current trends, projected future shifts, our DEI commitment, and compliance with current regulations.
- Recruitment & selection: Assist program managers with the hiring process by identifying strategic and inclusive job posting locations, participating in the screening and interviewing of applicants, and onboarding new hires.
- Benefits administration: Administer all benefits and manage new hire enrollment, qualifying event situations, annual open enrollment cycles, benefits renewal reviews, and resolution of staff issues.
- Engagement & retention: Coordinate staff engagement opportunities through surveys, open feedback sessions, and stay interviews to enrich a mutual staff-leadership trust relationship. Partner with leadership and managers in developing retention strategies, professional development, and succession plans to prevent undesired turnover and advance smooth employment transitions.
- Performance evaluation: Support the performance evaluation process, assist managers with team members who are facing challenges, and conduct research to strengthen processes by creating more effective evaluation procedures.
- Separation administration: Manage offboarding procedures, conduct exit interviews, initiate the COBRA process, and provide guidance when sensitive and confidential separation issues arise.
- Operational support: As a critical member of the Finance & Operations team, provide support to the Senior Accountant, and maintain and update employee files, job descriptions, and organizational HR resource folder content. Recommend IT enhancements as needed.
Education and Experience
- Minimum three years of Human Resources experience in the above areas required
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, or a related degree with equivalent experience
- Previous employment with a 501©(3) organization preferred
- SHRM-Certified Professional preferred
- Strong knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Thorough knowledge of payroll processes, IRS and multi-state payroll regulations and compliance procedures
- Excellent interpersonal and active listening skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to act with humility, empathy, integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Ability to act independently on HR tasks and initiatives, but collaborate across the organization as needed
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, G-Suite or related software
This is a full-time position and is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Salary commensurate with experience, however the expected salary range is $60,000 – 70,000. We are open to feedback from the market and would welcome the opportunity to connect with potential candidates who may be outside of the compensation band. Appalachian Voices is committed to equity in pay practices.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, however for best consideration please apply by August 22, 2022. Please send your resume and a cover letter that addresses the questions below to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for Human Resources Generalist”. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
- What interests you most in working with Appalachian Voices?
- What are the key qualities that make you a strong candidate for this position?