North Carolina Field Coordinator
Posted on December 14, 2021
Appalachian Voices seeks a North Carolina Field Coordinator to advance an equitable, just and democratic clean-energy transition in our state. The Field Coordinator will organize with community members and partner organizations to support local communities’ goals of democratic decision making and clean energy implementation across the state. The coordinator will also fight the expansion of fossil fuels and harmful coal ash handling and storage practices. The ideal candidate will have at least 1-2 years of experience in community organizing and the ability to collaborate closely with team members, organizational partners and community members from a range of backgrounds and experiences in order to develop shared strategies and carry out effective tactics. This position will be based in North Carolina. We currently staff in Boone and the Triangle. Remote candidates in other North Carolina locations will also be considered for candidates ok with occasional travel.
- Collaborate with Appalachian Voices’ colleagues, partner organizations and coalitions on developing compelling, timely, and creative strategies and tactics and seeing them through
- Responsibly engage with communities by earning trust and building relationships with local community members
- Facilitate meetings and provide tools, resources and leadership development to key community members and groups
- Track and prompt follow through on task assignments from meetings
- Work with partners to develop and facilitate the infrastructure for a statewide listening tour.
- Contact colleagues or partners for advice, info and support as needed
- Organizing experience – community, labor, or otherwise
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Skilled at working in dynamic team settings and driving participation from underheard participants
- Great facilitation skills
- Strategic thinker
- Basic graphic design capability in tools like Canva are helpful
- Background in energy-related issues a huge plus
- Passionate about environmental and/or energy justice, especially as it pertains to North Carolina.
This is a one-year contract position. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan. Targeted hiring range is $40,000 – 45,000.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. Target employment date is Late January/Early February 2022. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
Please send a resume, a writing or communication sample, and a brief cover letter that addresses the questions below to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for North Carolina Field Coordinator.”
- What’s your connection to North Carolina and why do you want to work on energy and environmental issues affecting the region?
- Share an example of when you facilitated a gathering, or had to teach someone something. Alternatively, give an example of a time you’ve worked with a large group on a common goal.