Tennessee Field Coordinator
Posted on November 19, 2021
Appalachian Voices seeks a Tennessee Field Coordinator to advance an equitable, just and democratic clean-energy transition in Tennessee. The Field Coordinator will organize with community members and partner organizations to support local communities’ goals of democratic decision making and clean energy implementation at their rural electric cooperatives, municipal utilities and at the Tennessee Valley Authority. The coordinator will also fight the expansion of fossil fuels and harmful coal ash handling and storage practices in our state. The ideal candidate will have experience in community organizing and the ability to collaborate closely with team members, organizational partners and community members from a range of backgrounds and experiences in order to develop shared strategies and carry out effective tactics.
This position will be based in East Tennessee with preference going to candidates in or willing to relocate to Knoxville, Tennessee. Remote candidates in other Tennessee locations will also be considered.
- Collaborate with Appalachian Voices’ colleagues, partner organizations and coalitions in developing compelling, timely, and creative strategies and play a lead role in implementing them.
- Responsibly engage with communities by earning trust and building relationships with local community members
- Facilitate meetings and provide tools, resources and leadership development to key community members and groups
- Track and support the implementation of agreements and next steps coming out of meetings
- Organize and drive turnout to in person and digital events and actions, using a range of outreach strategies including but not limited to phone banking, door knocking and social media promotion
- Grow and cultivate AppVoices’ members and volunteers and maintain accurate records in our supporter database
- Contribute to a dynamic and impactful team that has built significant momentum toward our goals
- Organizing experience – campaign and/or issue advocacy
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Skilled at working in dynamic team settings and supporting participation from underheard participants
- Experience running events and facilitating inclusive meetings skills
- Ability to problem-solve and consider short and long-term goals in decision-making. Background in campaign planning preferred.
- Familiarity with energy-related issues preferred
- Driven, self starter who enjoys working both independently and in teams
- A demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
This is a full-time position. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan. Salary commensurate with experience, however expected salary range is between $40,000 – 45,000.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. Target employment date is February 2022. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
Please send a resume, a writing or communication sample, and a brief cover letter that addresses the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for TN Field Coordinator.”
- What’s your connection to Appalachia and/or Tennessee and why do you want to work on energy and environmental issues affecting the region?
- Share an example of when you supported others leadership development in order to win a campaign or complete a project