Writer and Communications Coordinator
Posted on August 31, 2021
Appalachian Voices seeks an accomplished writer and communicator to develop and deliver content that highlights and advances our programmatic strategies. The successful candidate will be versatile in both short and long form writing, and be experienced in composing advocacy, journalistic, and marketing styles. The Writer and Communications Coordinator will develop, edit, and disseminate content across all of Appalachian Voices’ platforms including our news publication, The Appalachian Voice, the Front Porch Blog, social media platforms, and organizational websites. The position will also assist in general communications outreach, including working with programmatic staff on advocacy action alerts for our supporter base.
We are looking for someone who is not only a skilled writer, but who also understands the power of the written word to advance movements for justice. Expertise in environmental and energy issues is not required, but a passion for understanding these topics, the ability to conduct thorough research, and a commitment to accuracy is essential.
This position will be based in the Central and Southern Appalachian region, and proximity to one of Appalachian Voices’ offices is a plus. Some travel will be required as public health conditions allow, including reporting-based travel throughout the region and travel to our office in Boone, North Carolina.
- Tell stories connected to Appalachian Voices’ program work through high-quality, thoroughly researched writing that centers the voices of people directly impacted by and involved in these topics
- Serve as lead content creator for Appalachian Voices’ outreach platforms including:
- Manage the organization’s Front Porch Blog by working with program staff to develop, edit, and upload blogs and promote them on our social media channels.
- Identify, research, and produce a wide variety of stories for The Appalachian Voice news publication, edit content produced by freelancers and other staff, generate audio versions of stories, assist with potential print editions, and maintain and disseminate content online.
- Maintain content on Appalachian Voices’ website and affiliated coalition websites.
- Analyze the performance of The Appalachian Voice and Front Porch Blog content and develop and execute marketing strategies to expand our reach to target audiences.
- Extend Appalachian Voices’ reach by creating content for distribution through existing and new syndication outlets (local, regional and national), including a monthly page in The Mountain Times newspaper
- Set up email action alerts in our advocacy tool, Action Network
- Assist with general communications responsibilities
- Excellent writing skills and ability to write for multiple formats; this includes writing compelling, well-researched and accessible journalistic stories and drafting engaging, factual blogs
- Superior editing skills including copyediting, fact-checking and the ability to edit for structure, tone and clarity
- Aptitude for learning and working with online programs
- Experience with WordPress or other CMS web tools preferred. HTML, CSS and other web experience a plus
- Knowledge of environmental issues; familiarity with Appalachian-specific or energy-related issues a plus
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to manage multiple, simultaneous writing-based deadlines and projects
- Ability to produce high-quality work and exercise good judgment
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and in teams
- Video and/or graphics experience a plus
- Marketing experience a plus
- Expertise with AP Style a plus
This is a full-time position. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan. Targeted hiring range is between $40,000-50,000.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. Interviews will start in mid-September and the target employment date is November 2021. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
Please send a resume, three writing samples, and a brief cover letter that addresses the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for Writer and Communications Coordinator.”
- What’s your connection to Appalachia and why do you want to work on energy and environmental issues affecting the region?
- Share an area of professional growth in which you are currently engaged.