Posted on August 31, 2021
Appalachian Voices seeks a communications expert to advance the traditional and digital media exposure and strategy of our programmatic work supporting the clean energy transition of our region. The Media Specialist will work with other members of the Communications team to help lift up organizational successes and programmatic campaign objectives through national, state, and local news, new media, and social media outlets. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years of experience executing traditional and digital media outreach with a proven track record of earned media. The Media Specialist will be responsible for the implementation of a dynamic media and social media strategy to advance the organization’s objectives, and collaborate closely with team leadership, programmatic staff, and partners to develop specific strategies and craft messaging.
This position can be based in Boone, Charlottesville, Norton, or Durham.
- Help develop media strategy for the entire organization, maintain reporter relations and utilize traditional and new media outlets to leverage Appalachian Voices as an expert in the clean energy transition of our region
- Work with program teams to craft compelling, timely, and fact-based press releases and op-eds
- Maintain a press database with regional and key national media outlets
- Collaborate with partner organizations and coalitions on multi-organizational press outreach
- Track Appalachian Voices’ reach and impact through various media outlets
- Help develop and implement strategic social media plans to engage supporters and accomplish campaign goals
- Oversee the scheduling, content creation, posting, and analytics reporting for our primary social media channels
- Help oversee our digital ads campaigns, including scheduling and crafting compelling content for Facebook Ads, Google Ads and other digital marketing outlets
- Craft one-off graphics or work with our Graphics Coordinator to create compelling visuals for use in social and traditional media outreach
- Proven success in traditional and new media, especially earned media
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficiency in social media marketing for nonprofits or businesses, specifically Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, with an aptitude for building supporter engagement
- Skilled at working in dynamic team settings
- Basic graphic design capability in tools like Canva preferred. Adobe Suite experience a plus.
- Skilled in Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets with a basic knowledge of performance tracking
- Background in environmental issues, Appalachian, or energy-related issues a plus
- Knowledge of Google Ads a plus
- Video experience a plus
This is a full-time position. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan. Targeted hiring range is between $50,000-60,000.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. Interviews will start in mid-September and the target employment date is November 2021. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
Please send a resume, three media-related writing samples, and a brief cover letter that addresses the questions below to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for Media Specialist.”
- What’s your connection to Appalachia and why do you want to work on energy and environmental issues affecting the region?
- Share an area of professional growth in which you are currently engaged.