The Energy Savings for Appalachia campaign is focused on helping residents in these communities access low-cost funding to make substantial improvements to their home’s energy efficiency. To help provide that access, Appalachian Voices is working with rural electric cooperatives across the region to promote and develop a unique type of home energy loan program known as “on-bill financing.”
The research intern will assist our program by gathering information on various products and services offered by North Carolina rural electric cooperatives, including energy efficiency and renewable energy support and incentives.
This position will be located in our Boone, N.C. office. Part-time to full-time; ideally 20+ hours per week, starting as soon as possible and continuing through August. Additional responsibilities can be added to create a full-time role for academic qualifications. This is an unpaid position.
Intern activities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting online research on electric cooperative programs and services
- Making phone calls to confirm, substantiate and supplement information gathered through the online search
- Working with another intern on the research
- Committed to environmental and economic issues in the Appalachian region
- Should be highly proficient with Google Docs and spreadsheets
- Use of Google Earth, ArcGIS and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc) is beneficial
- Good writing skills
- An understanding of energy efficiency, particularly as it relates to home weatherization and energy efficient appliances
- Can meet deadlines
- Sense of humor and good listening and communication skills