Position filled for spring 2019
Working as lead editorial assistant for our bimonthly publication, The Appalachian Voice, this internship will focus on journalistic writing including conducting interviews, researching stories, writing articles, reformatting press releases and assisting with other aspects of print production including copy-editing, production and layout, photo managing and distribution. The assistant will also write news articles for our Front Porch Blog and monthly e-newsletter, The Advocate, as well as other communication needs of the organization.
This position will require the assistant to keep up to date with environmental news and current events, and write regularly about these topics as they pertain to the Appalachian region and the work of Appalachian Voices. Subjects of focus will include topics that parallel the organization’s primary programmatic work, including mountaintop removal coal mining, air pollution, forestry and land stewardship and water issues, as well as renewable energy and sustainable development, Appalachia history and culture and outdoor recreational opportunities.
This position will be located in our Boone, N.C. main office.
- Commitment to environmental issues in Appalachia
- Excellent research, writing and organizational skills
- Knowledge in journalistic writing and blog writing
- Interest in journalism and non-profit work
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well in a fast-paced office
- Detail oriented
- Competence with word processing
- Familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, copy-editing and AP style are all a plus
- Able to perform duties with minimal supervision
- A well-developed sense of humor