Appalachian Voices’ digital communications intern will work closely with our communications team in our Charlottesville, Va., office and will be responsible for helping to maintain, improve, and promote the organization’s online communications and outreach across multiple channels, including our Front Porch Blog and other areas of our website, and on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Flickr.
Start and end dates for the internship are negotiable. Hours are flexible, and will average 10 hours a week. The intern may do some of the work remotely, but should plan to work in our office at least some of the time to better understand our work and to gain more in-office experience. The internship is unpaid, however the intern will be reimbursed for potential travel and events for specific assignments.
Intern activities include, but are not limited to:
- Researching and advising on social media strategies according to latest industry trends – including best practices for tracking metrics
- Coordinating with communications staff to carry out targeted social media outreach according to program needs
- Composing blog posts about our programmatic work and external news events on the Front Porch Blog and other outlets; editing and assisting with content on staff-written blogs
- Identifying, posting and promoting events, articles, videos and other relevant content related to our work.
- Responding to posts and emails on our social networking pages in a timely manner
- Organize an “online event” to encourage online activists to take action on our campaigns
- Substantial experience with social media platforms, preferably in an advocacy setting
- Excellent research, writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of WordPress and/or basic HTML code is a plus but not required
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well in a fast-paced environment
- Perform duties with minimal supervision
- Commitment to environmental and energy issues affecting the Appalachian region
To apply, please fill out the Intern Application form (link below) and send resume, three writing samples and a graphic or image-oriented sample if you have one to: Cat McCue, Director of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org.